top of page

Surabaya church attacks. Family launched suicide bomb attack Indonesian churches, at least 13 dead

A family of six launched suicide attacks on Christians attending Sunday services at three churches in Indonesia’s second-largest city of Surabaya, killing at least 13 people and wounding 40.



At least 13 people died in Sunday's bombings, which the Islamic State group has claimed.

The mother and two daughters blew themselves up at one church, while the father and two sons targeted two others.

The family had recently spent time in Syria, according to the police.

The bombings are the deadliest in Indonesia since 2005, and they have also left dozens of people injured.


The father drove a bomb-laden car into the grounds of Surabaya Centre Pentecostal Church, police said.

The mother and her two daughters - aged 9 and 12 - had bombs strapped to them and blew themselves up at Diponegoro Indonesian Christian Church.

The family's sons - aged 16 and 18 - rode motorcycles into Santa Maria Catholic Church, and detonated explosives they were carrying. It was their attack that came first, at around 07:30 local time (00:30 GMT). The other two attacks followed five minutes apart, police said, according to the Jakarta Post.

Officials reportedly foiled attacks against other churches.



Pope Francis offered his prayers for the victims.

“I am particularly close to the dear people of Indonesia, especially to the communities of Christians of the city of Surabaya, which were hit hard by the serious attack on places of worship,” he said during his Sunday prayer in Rome.

“Together we invoke the God of peace (asking him) to cease these violent actions and (to make sure) that in the heart of all there could be a space not feelings of hatred and violence, but of reconciliation and fraternity.”


Churches have also been targeted previously, including near-simultaneous attacks over Christmas in 2000 that killed about 20 people.

bottom of page